Image is “Ice Cream Ramen” courtesy of…
Today in a comment conversation with my friend Claire about Tomato sandwiches we compared a few notes on, shall we say, unusual food pairings. Suddenly I realized that many of us have grown up eating interesting and unusual foods, and food combinations. Some of which might have made a friend or work partner wrinkle their nose now and again. What is yours?
My father’s favorite was a breakfast stack containing pancakes, bacon, eggs sunny-side-up, and all dripping with maple syrup. Which reminds me of Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird when she protests loudly on seeing her little supper guest pour syrup over his whole meal.
Although it wasn’t her favorite… my grandmother was heard to say that as a younger woman she actually sampled fried grasshoppers once. She claimed that, “They weren’t that bad.”
So here are a couple of mine…
One recent: Toasted bread with apple butter and sharp cheddar cheese.
And, one from high school : French Fries dipped in a chocolate shake.
I have since heard a few others say that they have tried this one.
So OK, out with it!
What is your closet food pairing/combination?
I think this will be fun, so don’t be shy. Who knows? You may have a few friends out there who do the same thing…
You never know!
- Sweet potato and kale macaroni and cheese (hilarymakes.com)
- The Mystery of Pimento Cheese (courierpress.com)
- Food Porn: Bistro Europa’s “Velvet Hammer” (buffaloeats.org)
- Pregnancy Food Cravings (enfamil.com)
- Eat Broccoli with Mustard to Boost the Nutritional Value of Both (and Other Strange, Healthy Food Pairings) (lifehacker.com)