I want to share the first block in a series for Bee, Myself and I
The idea behind BM&I is to do a bit of sewing just for ourselves each month. And like so many other quilters out there I often find that hard to do, as I feel that it is selfish to spend the time, energy and funds on me. Thanks to Granny Maud’s Girl and Kate Chiconi from Tall Tales at Chiconia, I have had the prompting to begin. Thank you both!
I had a few false starts last month when I listened to the lady at the quilt shop on background choices for my Hat Boxes blocks. She didn’t understand how Kaffe Facet works: bright colors, wild florals and prints. In a word – bold. And of course I had forgotten to pick up my book on the way out the door. I got home and tried to make them work, but they simply were not right. They were pale, insipid, uninspired.
I had to wait for the next payday, and then went out yesterday to shop for new backgrounds. I love the new fabrics, but again made a wrong choice for the box I had already cut out. The banding on the box is too close in value and print.
Having worked so diligently on the Y seam involved on the background I was loath to disassemble the block
and just made a new one. This is much better!
Color is washed out due to flash, sorry.
The block is done!
Last thoughts: It was frustrating to have picked wrong fabrics initially, and to have again made the same mistake this month with assembly. However, I have learned how to make a very good “Y” seam and now have another background all ready to go for another hat box in the future! That said, after all that trouble to make a perfect “Y” seam it was rather disturbing to realize I would be cutting it off the back to reduce the thickness of the layers for quilting!
I just have to remind myself that it was all worth the effort, because now I have a new skill in my arsenal